Monday, November 16, 2009

One down, Five to go!

Today marks the first day of my last week as an MBSC intern. I can’t believe how fast the time has gone by (Ten weeks!). It has been a worthwhile experience for sure. I meet so many great people, and made some great friendships. If I was to be completely honest I didn’t learn an awful lot science wise with regards to strength and conditioning. I would have loved to have worked with another intern (as I was the only one for most of the Fall), who was a nerd like me. Someone who I could just talk strength training and rehab with all day. In fairness Sam Dadd an MBSC employee (who was hired during my internship) is my go to nerd, so at least I had Sam for some of my internship. Plus Sam love The Kings of Leon, and Artic Monkeys is well, so we got clicked straight away!

What did I learn then?

I did learn to be a much better coach logistically. I have become a much better coach at making on the spot decisions. Nearly everyday I would have to tweak some kids program as they had a sore shoulder, back, knee, or ankle. In fact I had a client tonight come in with a broken ankle!! There would also be times when there just wouldn’t be enough turf space for a group to throw some medball throws, so you would have to come up with a comprise, such as partner medball slams. Like a lot of things in life, what you get out of something, will always depend on what you put into! I like to think that I have made the most out of my internship.

I hope to spend more time with John Pallof, Karen Wood, and Chris Larson when my internship finishes. These three are all excellent therapist that I hope to learn a lot from before I go back.

At the end of the week I will give a more detailed account of my MBSC experience. And for anyone wondering – “Robbie, what’s Mike Boyle really like?”. All I will say is LEGEND!!

PS. Kyle I hope you have checked my blog out by now ;-)

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment